Today’s Health Care Check-Up: — January 18, 2000
Public Favors Employer-Based Health Care System
A recent survey conducted for the Commonwealth Fund indicates strong
public support for employer-based health care – more reason for Congress
not to expand the "right" to sue, which would subject employers to
unlimited liability and force many to stop voluntarily providing health
coverage to their employees.
According to the survey:
- 49% said employers should continue to be the main source of health
coverage for workers
- 23% said workers should select their own coverage
- 18% said the government should provide coverage
Even those Americans without health insurance
favored employer-sponsored health care:
- 35% of uninsured preferred employer coverage
- 27% of uninsured supported purchasing their own coverage
- 24% of uninsured preferred government-provided
Don’t threaten the future of employer-sponsored health
care by expanding the "right" to sue.
A "Patients’ Bill of Rights" Shouldn’t Be a "Lawyer’s
Right to Bill".