Skip banner
HomeSourcesHow Do I?Site MapHelp
Return To Search FormFOCUS
Search Terms: medical information privacy

Document ListExpanded ListKWICFULL format currently displayed

Previous Document Document 2 of 25. Next Document

Copyright 2000 The Washington Post  
The Washington Post

 View Related Topics 

July 23, 2000, Sunday, Final Edition

SECTION: A SECTION; Pg. A05

LENGTH: 729 words

HEADLINE: POLITICS; Bush Web Site Hit for Lack of Privacy

BYLINE: Ben White

BODY:


Does George W. Bush's new campaign Web site have privacy problems? Vice President Gore's campaign certainly thinks so.

The Gore camp's contention, echoed in a statement released last week by Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), is that to volunteer to help the Bush campaign through www.georgewbush.com, visitors must enter their name, address, phone number and e-mail address and cannot "opt out" of having that information shared with the Republican National Committee, Republican state parties or other "local Bush leaders."

The Gore camp and Markey also faulted the site's policy regarding participation in "Daily Trivia" and "Enter and Win Contests" on the site. Again, the Bush site makes submission of name, address, telephone number and e-mail address a "condition of participation." The Bush campaign even goes a step further with this feature, saying that by supplying personal information, the user agrees to let the Bush campaign share it with any Republican committee and any "other organizations."

University of Pennsylvania research fellow Steven M. Schneider called the Bush privacy policy "weak," noting that visitors also cannot customize the information they receive from the site without pumping in detailed personal information. "The Bush campaign basically says, 'We are not going to allow you to use all the features of this wonderful tool unless you give us your name, phone number and e-mail address.' I hope they are rethinking that."

Bush spokesman Tucker Eskew at first said of the privacy policy: "The information is by definition voluntary. You opt out by not entering the information." But he later called back to say the Bush campaign is working on a new privacy policy, including "opt-out" provisions.



A Sunshiny Bush Woos Florida



George W. Bush is heading into the Republican National Convention on July 31 with a round of "Morning in America"-type television ads, filled with babies and senior citizens, designed to paint an uplifting portrait of his leadership style.

Perhaps as interesting as the warm and fuzzy tone and talk of "the American dream" is the targeting of Florida in a multimillion-dollar buy that also includes Pennsylvania, Ohio and Washington.

The choice suggests the campaign is worried about the Sunshine State, despite the advantage of Bush's brother, Jeb Bush, serving as governor. Campaign spokesman Ari Fleischer acknowledged that the contest will be tougher if Vice President Gore picks Florida Sen. Bob Graham as his running mate.

The three 30-second spots, featuring as many multicultural faces as a Benetton ad, concede the country's prosperity--which might be seen as a selling point for Gore--but try to spin that into an opportunity for Bush's ideas. Each spot uses Bush's signature line of being "a uniter, not a divider" and presents him as a comfortable, reassuring figure.

In one ad, the Texas governor says: "This is a moment in history when we have a chance to focus on tough problems. It is not always popular to say, 'Our children can't read, or Social Security needs improving, or we have a budget surplus and a deficit of values.' But those are the right things to say."



No Room at the Gores'



The Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit Washington group, issued a study called "Fat Cat Hotel" in 1996 that reported the use of the White House Lincoln Bedroom by Democratic donors. Now, the center has decided to check on guests Vice President Gore may have had at his official residence. An "Investigative Report" issued last week by the center is titled "White House Refuses to Release List of Gore's Sleepover Guests."

"Gore officials have insisted that all guests have been merely 'close friends and relatives from Tennessee,' and that no such list exists," the report said. "They have also refused to compile such information, citing the White House's exemption from the Freedom of Information Act."

Relax, scandal hounds. Jim Kennedy, the vice president's spokesman, called to report that in the past seven years, the guest list has totaled "less than 10 adults."

"With the exception of Steven Spielberg, they're all close family and friends," Kennedy said. "There's no guest room in this house, by the way. When they stay, they stay in one of the kids' rooms."



Staff writers Howard Kurtz and Mike Allen contributed to this report.



LOAD-DATE: July 23, 2000




Previous Document Document 2 of 25. Next Document


FOCUS

Search Terms: medical information privacy
To narrow your search, please enter a word or phrase:
   
About LEXIS-NEXIS® Academic Universe Terms and Conditions Top of Page
Copyright © 2002, LEXIS-NEXIS®, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All Rights Reserved.