CIPB Homepage
CIPB Resources, Recommendations & Links
CIPB Membership & Contact Information
Recent CIPB Chapter & Pubcasting News
CIPB Press Releases, Board & Contact Information
Putting the PUBLIC back into public broadcasting

Chapter News
Events

Tell a friend about us
Take the CIPB Quiz

The new book by Jerold StarrAIR WARS The new book by Jerry Starr
A riveting story of greed, politics, and television...


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, JANUARY 20, 2000

CONTACT
Jerry Starr, 202-638-6880

COALITION OPPOSES RELIGIOUS RIGHT ASSAULT ON EDUCATIONAL TV STANDARDS

Washington, DC—A growing coalition of educational and public interest organizations are urging their members to write to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to fight an attempt to roll-back eligibility requirements for noncommercial, educational television licenses. The roll-back is being led by Paxson Communications, the National Religious Broadcasters, and Donald Wildmon’s American Family Association.

“We are dedicated to preserving all educational licenses for their legislated purpose. They should provide a diversity of truly educational programs for all significant constituencies in the community,” said Jerry Starr, Executive Director of Citizens for Independent Public Broadcasting.

This case first came to national attention earlier this month with the front-page story of Sen. John McCain’s demand that the FCC approve a three-way TV license exchange in Pittsburgh by December 15. On December 14, 1999, the FCC announced that it had voted 3-2 to approve the applications. Investigation by the press revealed that McCain had acted on behalf of Lowell “Bud” Paxson of Paxson Communications, a major contributor to McCain’ s campaign.

All attention was focused on whether McCain’s intervention was improper. Little notice was paid to the highly unusual deal which transferred the license for Pittsburgh’s popular public television station, WQEX, to the commercially-run conservative religious station Cornerstone TeleVision. The applications were stalled for two-and-a-half years due to enormous community opposition—including 40,000 calls, letters and petition signatures. Residents did not want to lose WQEX and also were offended by Cornerstone’s frequent attacks on other religions, environmentalists, public school teachers, gays and lesbians, and others.

In the same decision, by a 3-2 vote, the commissioners reaffirmed and clarified eligibility requirements for noncommercial, educational television licenses. Namely, more than half of the station’s broadcast schedule must consist of programs that are primarily educational, cultural or instructional in purpose. Church services, preaching, proselytizing or personal statements of belief would not count toward meeting the educational programming requirement.

Concerned about these guidelines, Cornerstone informed the FCC on Wednesday, January 19, that it was terminating all agreements and would not consummate any of the transactions. Earlier, Eagle had said to the press, “We have a mission” to “bring Glory to his name” and “we can’t jeopardize it.” Paxson Communications, the National Religious Broadcasters, and the American Family Association have protested the clarified guidelines, claiming discrimination against religious broadcasters and unwarranted federal intrusion.

“This is not discrimination against religion, but a defense of education. It is not unwarranted federal intrusion, but the FCC doing its duty to protect the public interest, convenience, and necessity,” said Diane Shust, Manager of Federal Relations at the National Education Association.

Ralph G. Neas, President of People For the American Way Foundation, observed, "It is clear that some religious broadcasters are not willing to be bound by standards that apply to all noncommercial, educational licensees. They are asking for special privileges and claiming that the failure to grant them is discrimination. Congress and the FCC should resist right-wing pressure on this issue.

"Religious broadcasters have called for letters to the FCC and Congress urging them to reverse the ruling. Four Republican Congressmen, led by Rep. Michael Oxley (R-OH), sent a letter to FCC Chairman Kennard and Vice President Gore threatening to have the decision overturned “legislatively or in court.” On Monday, January 24 they will introduce legislation in the House to overturn the decision.

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, Executive Director, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, responds, “The FCC is attempting to apply fair and reasonable guidelines to ensure that educational TV stations are truly educational and not extensions of somebody's religious ministry. We think the FCC is on the right track and should not cave in to pressure from powerful religious broadcasters and their political allies."

In addition to the above organizations, the still growing coalition of educational and public interest groups already includes the Benton Foundation, Center for Media Education, National Writers Union, Political Research Associates and others. They are asking the FCC not only to stand by existing eligibility requirements, but to provide more concrete guidelines for community groups to use in determining whether local broadcasters are meeting their educational obligations under the law.


| RESOURCES | MEMBERSHIP  | NEWS | PRESS ROOM |
© 2000 All Rights Reserved
Citizens for Independent Public Broadcasting
1029 Vermont Avenue, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20005
Voice: 202-638-6880 Fax: 202-638-6885 E-mail: webmaster@cipbonline.org