Copyright 2002 Daily News, L.P. Daily News (New
York)
March 18, 2002, Monday SPORTS FINAL
EDITION
SECTION: BUSINESS; Pg. 38
LENGTH: 442 words
HEADLINE:
CABLE/WEB POLICY FOES SET TO SUE
BYLINE: By
NANCY DILLON DAILY NEWS BUSINESS WRITER
BODY: Consumer groups and independent Internet Service Providers are up in
arms over a recent decision that frees cable TV companies from having to share
their pipelines with rivals.
The decision by the
Federal Communications Commission states that cable TV-delivered Internet
service differs from service delivered over telephone lines and isn't subject to
the same open-access laws that force phone companies to carry
competitive services.
Groups ranging from the Center
for Digital Democracy to Media Access Project are suddenly pulling together a
suit to block the controversial new policy.
"We will
be taking this to court because the outcome of this question will determine the
future shape of the Internet," said Andrew Schwartzman, of Media Access Project,
a nonprofit public interest law firm.
If regulators
don't force cable operators to open their broadband networks, cable
companies may begin forming monopolies to control what parts of the Internet
users can access and what users are allowed to download, Schwartzman argues.
"This is going to lead to a triple whammy against
consumers, with less choice, higher prices and mischief on the part of cable
operators," said Jeff Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital
Democracy.
A lawsuit will be filed within two
months.
Cable providers who stand to gain from the FCC
decision include AT&T and Comcast - now seeking a merger - as well as Cox,
Cablevision and others.
ISPs distressed by the ruling
include NetZero, Juno Online and EarthLink, the largest independent service
provider.
In their defense, cable companies said the
ruling should help consumers since less regulation typically leads to faster
network expansion. And if users aren't happy with the choices afforded by their
cable operators, they can turn to alternative conduits, cable officials said.
"Given the vigorous competition between cable modem,
digital subscriber line, and satellite-delivered broadband Internet
services, a policy of regulatory restraint is particularly appropriate," said
Robert Sachs, CEO of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association.
Cable operators also pointed to several recent examples of
good-faith carriage agreements with unaffiliated ISPs.
For example, just last month Comcast struck a deal to make NetZero and
Juno Online available to Comcast customers in Nashville and Indianapolis.
"While this progress is worth noting, I would also note
that such agreements are quite new, are generally limited to the largest cable
systems and are generally offered to only one or two unaffiliated ISPs," wrote
FCC Commissioner Michael Copps in his dissenting opinion.