Copyright 2002 The Washington Post
The
Washington Post
April 22, 2002, Monday, Final Edition
SECTION: A SECTION; Pg. A15
LENGTH: 875 words
HEADLINE:
Global Education Plan Gains Backing; World Bank's Goal Is to Battle Poverty by
Reducing Illiteracy in Poor Nations
BYLINE: Paul
Blustein, Washington Post Staff Writer
BODY:
Global financial leaders gave broad backing yesterday to a
World Bank plan aimed at ensuring that by 2015 all children in poor countries
get at least a primary-school education.
The plan, called "Education for
All," still lacks firm financial commitments from many major donors, most
notably the United States. That is a source of concern to aid advocates who
warned that the initiative would likely fail unless the Bush administration
provides enthusiastic leadership in the form of a sizable contribution.
But at a news conference that capped weekend meetings of the World Bank
and
International Monetary Fund, World Bank President James D.
Wolfensohn said he was "extremely heartened by the support" for the plan shown
by members of a policy-setting committee that represented the bank's 183 member
nations, including Treasury Secretary Paul H. O'Neill, who represented the
United States. "What I hoped to get today on education. . . . I got," Wolfensohn
said. "It was a whole-hearted endorsement." The British aid group Oxfam
International hailed the plan as "a major breakthrough in the
campaign to get every child in the world into school," while adding the
admonition that rich nations must now back up their words with billions of
dollars in funds.
About 125 million primary-school-age children in
developing countries, the majority of them girls, do not attend school. Getting
nearly all of those children to attend class and complete five years of primary
education is widely regarded by development experts as one of the most
achievable and important of the goals set two years ago by the world's
governments for 2015. Reducing illiteracy among women generates benefits in poor
societies, including improved child health and nutrition.
During the
weekend meetings, the World Bank warned that 88 countries will fall considerably
short of meeting the education goal, if they continue on their present course.
The bank said that it will cost $ 2.5 billion to $ 5 billion annually to help
the 47 poorest countries meet the goal, and the cost of achieving the goal in
all developing countries is projected at perhaps triple that amount.
The
big question facing the World Bank's plan is whether the United States and other
wealthy countries will contribute substantial amounts of their aid dollars to a
coordinated effort or channel more funds into their own programs, which often
offer political benefits by, for example, allowing donors to claim credit for
the building of particular schools and hospitals.
The World Bank plan is
based on the idea that the poor countries, rather than the donors, should play
the main role in devising blueprints for improving their education systems, and
that any country with a sensible plan can count on receiving sufficient foreign
assistance for it. Ten countries will be selected for "fast track" funding to
demonstrate effective approaches for increasing enrollments.
Oxfam and
some other aid advocates voiced worry yesterday that the Bush administration,
despite its strong pro-education rhetoric and recent pledge to increase U.S.
foreign aid, is chary of the multilateral approach involved in the World Bank
plan. So far only a handful of nations, including Germany, the Netherlands and
Norway, have offered funding for the plan.
Those concerns were eased
somewhat in a statement O'Neill made to the World Bank's Development Committee.
"We believe the World Bank and other donors should be prepared to significantly
increase funding for
basic education in those countries with
strong policy and financial commitments to this sector," O'Neill said.
Phil Twyford, an Oxfam spokesman, said after the meeting that he was
"really encouraged" by O'Neill's words, "but it's a matter of, 'Show me the
money.' It's fine for the U.S. to say that other peoples' money can be used for
this plan, but will the U.S. come through with its own funds?"
The next
major hurdle for the plan looms when President Bush and other leaders of the
Group of Seven major industrial nations meet in June in Alberta, Canada. The
plan's advocates are hoping the G-7 will issue concrete financial commitments at
the conference to eventually spend as much as $ 10 billion a year on the plan.
The agreement yesterday "has the potential to be a watershed event if
the G-7 countries step up to the plate financially and coordinate their
efforts," said Gene Sperling, a former top economic adviser in the Clinton
administration who now directs the Forum on Universal Education at the Brookings
Institution.
In other developments at yesterday's meetings, participants
have not resolved a dispute between the United States and European nations over
a Bush plan that would convert much of the World Bank's aid to poor countries to
grants instead of loans. British Development Secretary Clare Short said,
however, that the two sides have narrowed their differences significantly.
The dispute has aroused extraordinary rancor. Short has described the
U.S. proposal as "crazy" because it might sap the World Bank's financial
strength, and O'Neill has called Short's stance "stupid" because, he contends,
it shows more concern for the bank's finances than the condition of the poor.
LOAD-DATE: April 22, 2002