Skip banner Home   Sources   How Do I?   Site Map   What's New   Help  
Search Terms: Title IX w/10 enforcement
  FOCUS™    
Edit Search
Document ListExpanded ListKWICFULL format currently displayed   Previous Document Document 48 of 67. Next Document


Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company
The New York Times

May 30, 2002 Thursday
Late Edition - Final

SECTION: Section A; Column 4; National Desk; Pg. 14

LENGTH: 505 words

HEADLINE: U.S. Defends Anti-Bias Law on College Sports

BYLINE: By TAMAR LEWIN

BODY:


The Bush administration expressed at least limited support yesterday for the federal law prohibiting sex discrimination in college sports, asking a federal court in Washington to dismiss a lawsuit by coaches of men's college teams who said enforcement of the law was hurting opportunities for male athletes.

The National Wrestling Coaches Association filed suit against the Department of Education in January, saying the guidelines for a federal law known as Title IX discriminated against low-profile men's sports.

Since then, alumni and student groups from Marquette University, Bucknell and Yale have joined the suit, charging that the Education Department's enforcement of the law has produced reverse discrimination, forcing budget cuts and reducing athletic opportunities for college men in sports like wrestling, swimming, gymnastics and track.

Over the last week, Washington has been awash in rumors that the Bush administration is preparing to rethink its Title IX enforcement, with an eye to softening the requirement that women's sports receive financing in proportion to the percentage of women on campus. In yesterday's filing, though, the Justice Department gave no sign of any such plan.

Instead, the government filing raised only procedural problems with the lawsuit, arguing that the case should be dismissed because even if some universities wrongly eliminated men's teams in their efforts to comply with Title IX, only those institutions -- and not the court -- could reinstate those teams. The government also said the lawsuit was barred by the statute of limitations, since it challenges actions taken by the Department of Education more than six years ago.

Women's advocacy groups said they were troubled that the government brief offered no praise for Title IX, which in three decades has increased women's participation in college sports to 157,000 female athletes from 30,000.

"It would have been common for the government to signal its support for Title IX, even if the case was so flawed for procedural reasons that it should be dismissed," said Marcia Greenberger of the National Women's Law Center, in Washington. "We're disappointed by the silence."

Since the passage of Title IX in 1972, the General Accounting Office has found, more than 170 wrestling programs have been eliminated, along with 80 men's tennis teams, 70 men's gymnastic teams and 45 men's track teams.

Over all, the number of men playing college sports has remained relatively stable, at about 200,000.

This month, the men's track and field teams at Vermont, Tulane and Bowling Green ran their final races, and people like Ed Kusiak, who has coached track at the University of Vermont since 1969, resigned themselves to having only a women's team.

Under a 1995 court ruling, universities could show they were in compliance with Title IX by meeting what is known as a proportionality test -- that is, showing that their ratio of male to female athletes was nearly equal to their overall ratio of male to female undergraduates.

URL: http://www.nytimes.com

LOAD-DATE: May 30, 2002




Previous Document Document 48 of 67. Next Document
Terms & Conditions   Privacy   Copyright © 2004 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All Rights Reserved.