Copyright 2002 Times Publishing Company St.
Petersburg Times (Florida)
April 27, 2002, Saturday, 0 South Pinellas
Edition
SECTION: NATIONAL; Pg. 7A
LENGTH: 722 words
HEADLINE: Move
to arm airline pilots picks up key House support
SOURCE: Compiled from Times Wires
DATELINE: WASHINGTON
BODY: A campaign by airline pilots to carry guns in cockpits has gained
the support of two key House Republicans despite the opposition of Bush
administration officials.
House aviation subcommittee
Chairman John Mica of Florida and House Transportation and Infrastructure
Committee Chairman Don Young of Alaska are scheduled to introduce legislation
Tuesday to allow trained pilots to carry guns.
Mica's
subcommittee has scheduled a hearing Thursday, when pilots plan to submit
petitions with thousands of signatures to the White House.
The airline security law passed last fall allows the government to
decide whether pilots should carry guns.
Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta and homeland security director
Tom Ridge both oppose arming pilots. Mineta has said newly reinforced cockpit
doors prevent terrorists from commandeering airplanes.
An airline consumer group formed by Ralph Nader has endorsed arming
pilots. Paul Hudson, executive director of the Aviation Consumer Action Project,
said even the fortified cockpit doors are not strong enough to keep hijackers
out.
Financial hubs button up
The Federal Reserve is overseeing an effort by financial institutions
to disperse people, records and operations and to duplicate business functions
at multiple sites - a change in strategy from the months following the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks when most companies relied on security guards checking IDs in
downtown office lobbies.
The strategy of geographical
dispersal and increased "redundancy," beyond what financial institutions
already have in place to handle blackouts or earthquakes, was being discussed
before last Friday's warning that terrorists may have targeted some banks.
But the warning made the need for more extensive measures
even more urgent, according to federal officials and real estate brokers
monitoring trends in office space needs.
James
Skidmore, a spokesman for the Federal Reserve's board of governors, confirmed
that the Federal Reserve, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other
federal regulators "have worked together following 9-11 to identify
vulnerabilities to business continuity at financial firms."
Pearl trial on hold, again
The trial of four
men accused in the kidnapping and murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel
Pearl has been suspended indefinitely while a higher Afghani court considers a
motion to replace the presiding judge, Abdul Ghafoor Memon.
The motion was brought by the prosecutor, Raja Qureshi, who asserted
that the judge was unable to keep the defendants under control. Qureshi
complained that one or more of the defendants had looked at him and tugged at
their chins, which in Pakistan is a threatening gesture.
If Memon is removed, he will be the second judge to be taken off the
case, which has convened for only five sessions - and heard evidence in only
three of them - since the trial opened on April 5.
Orphan tale was a hoax
A rumor that Afghan
orphans were on their way to the United States for adoption has turned out to be
a hoax perpetrated by a Culver City, Calif., woman whose husband says she is
mentally unstable.
Last month, Julie Fahrer claimed at
a meeting in Los Angeles with members of the Afghan and Muslim community that
529 Afghan women and children were being brought into the United States.
This prompted great anxiety in the Muslim community.
Hundreds of Muslim families nationwide signed up for foster care licenses. But
U.S. officials have repeatedly said they received no evidence that Afghan
orphans are in the country.
In other news
SECRET SERVICE HIRING: The Secret Service, faced with
added demands after the terror attacks, plans to hire 476 new agents this
year.
The service is almost halfway toward its goal,
having hired a little more than 230 people since October.
MOUSSAOUI LAWYERS STILL FIGHTING: In unusually harsh language, lawyers
for the man indicted as an accomplice in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks
contended Friday that the government wants to execute Zacarias Moussaoui because
no one else is available.
The court-appointed lawyers,
whom Moussaoui himself wants to dismiss, argued in a written brief that the
government is ignoring provisions of the federal death penalty law in order "to
pander to a public or a jury which it would like to overheat by waving the
flag."