Copyright 2002 The Washington Post

The Washington Post
November 19, 2002 Tuesday
Final
EditionSECTION: A SECTION; Pg. A08
LENGTH: 542 words
HEADLINE:
Agency Meets Deadline For Airport Screeners
BYLINE: Sara Kehaulani Goo, Washington Post Staff Writer
BODY:Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta said yesterday that his
agency has met a crucial deadline to hire more than 44,000 federal screeners to
man almost every airport security checkpoint by today, a milestone that many
critics had doubted could be completed within a one-year time frame.
After the terrorist hijackings last year, Congress passed
a law requiring that federal workers take over airport screening duties in
response to concerns that those working for private firms were too poorly
trained to keep terrorists off of airplanes and were paid too little to prevent
high turnover.
The law meant that the government had
to assemble a massive workforce in just a few months. The Transportation
Security Administration, itself less than a year old, had to review more than
1.4 million applicants, hire about 3,300 a week and conduct training sessions
that sometimes lasted past midnight.
At a news
conference at Reagan National Airport, Mineta said, "We are proud that we have
met so many deadlines, but we are not resting." He acknowledged that the TSA
would not meet a Dec. 31 deadline, included in last year's legislation, to scan
all passenger luggage using explosive-detection machines. The House has approved
a one-year extension of the deadline as part of the homeland-security bill. The
Senate has not yet voted on the bill.
TSA officials
said that about 10 to 15 airports don't have enough space in their terminals to
fit bulky explosive-detection machines by the end of the year, but they declined
to name the airports.
In the Washington area, National
appears to be on track to meet the bag-
screening deadline,
according to airport officials. Although officials from Baltimore-Washington
International Airport said earlier that they would have problems, after
reviewing new proposals they now say they are more optimistic.
Dulles International is "going to be incredibly difficult," said James
A. Wilding, president of the airport authority that runs National and Dulles.
"But I don't want to say it's not going to be done."
BWI was the first airport to get federal screeners in May.
The TSA was initially criticized for hiring a mostly
white, male workforce, but as of October, 35 percent of the screeners were women
and 40 percent were minorities. The federal screeners are paid better and
receive more training than the private-sector employees.
The new security effort caused many screeners, especially foreigners,
to lose their jobs, because the law requires federal screeners to be U.S.
citizens and speak English. The law also requires federal screeners to have a
high school diploma or one year of experience as a screener.
Those requirements displaced hundreds of people employed at
Washington's airports; at least 90 lost their jobs at National airport because
they were not U.S. citizens, said Abdul Kamus, project manager at the Ethiopian
Community Development Council.
Last week, a federal
judge in Los Angeles ruled that the ban on non-U.S. citizens was
unconstitutional and issued a preliminary injunction allowing the nine
noncitizen screeners who brought the case to apply for the federal jobs at Los
Angeles and San Francisco airports. Attorneys for the screeners said the case
could have nationwide implications.
LOAD-DATE:
November 19, 2002